Another chemical on the list to watch out for, DMDM Hydantoin; a antimicrobial formaldehyde releaser preservative most commonly used in cosmetics and hair care products. It has been linked to allergies, rashes and hair loss. DMDM hydantoin leaches formaldehyde when it comes into contact with water.
This is NOT what you want in your shampoo! There is currently a law suit against Johnson & Johnson over the use of DMDM Hydantoin in the OGX range of shampoos and conditioners. This brand is currently sold in New Zealand.
According to this article the lawsuit observes that Johnson & Johnson recognised the potential dangers of DMDM hydantoin and had committed to removing it from all of its products by the end of 2015, which they did do. However, in 2016 Johnson & Johnson acquired Vogue International and its OGX brand which had products containing DMDM hydantoin and since then Johnson & Johnson has continued to sell these products containing this harmful chemical.
There’s an array of other ingredients in this product that I personally would not use. See the list below where I’ve listed other ingredients to be wary of.
Products listed in the Johnson & Johnson lawsuit:
OGX Biotin + Collagen Shampoo and Conditioner
OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Conditioner
OGX Anti-Breakage and Keratin Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
OGX Detox + Pomegranate & Ginger Shampoo and Conditioner
OGX Marula Oil Conditioner
OGX Extra Strength Hydrate & Repair Shampoo and Conditioner
Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Conditioner
Below are other OGX products, if you have these in your home check the ingredient labels.
Any product that lists something like ‘Frosted Sugar Cookie’ is NOT going to be toxin free. There is no natural scent created from cookies or gumdrops, the only way to create a scent like this is through a chemical process.
When you see ‘fragrance’ listed on ANY label you will not know what chemicals are contained under that heading as companies do not have to disclose what the ‘fragrance’ consists of. If you want to know more about the dangers of this term read this blog about the movie ‘What The Stink’. And also check out this article.
- OGX Nicole Guerriero Midnight Kisses Shampoo
- OGX Nicole Guerriero Midnight Kisses Conditioner
- OGX Nicole Guerriero Mistletoe Wishes Shampoo
- OGX Nicole Guerriero Mistletoe Wishes Conditioner
- OGX Nicole Guerriero Ice Berry Queen Shampoo
- OGX Nicole Guerriero Ice Berry Queen Conditioner
- OGX Ever Straightening and Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo
- OGX Ever Straightening and Brazilian Keratin Therapy Conditioner
- OGX Kandee Johnson Candy Gumdrop Shampoo
- OGX Kandee Johnson Candy Gumdrop Conditioner
- OGX Kandee Johnson Frosted Sugar Cookie Shampoo
- OGX Kandee Johnson Frosted Sugar Cookie Conditioner
- OGX Kandee Johnson Sparkling Cider Shampoo
- OGX Kandee Johnson Sparkling Cider Conditioner
- OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Shampoo
- OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Conditioner
- OGX Hydrate + Defrizz and Kukui Oil Conditioner
- OGX Youth Enhancing + Sake Essence Conditioner
If you’re concerned about what’s in the hair products that you currently use consider swapping to safe alternatives such as Be Natural Shampoo Bars or Dr Bronner’s and Holistic Hair ranges.
Other toxins to look out for in your shampoos and conditioners …
- Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives: quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, polyoxymethylene urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, bromopol and glyoxal
- Polyethylene Glycol aka PEGs
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- Cocamide DEA/MEA
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Polyquarternium 7
- Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone
To find out more about ingredients go to Safecosmetics.org.
Thanks to Lisa Fuller bringing this law suit to my attention. Triona.